Joy is a choice. Joy is living in the present trusting that tomorrow is not worth worrying about.
A warning should be given to everyone who endeavors to begin their journey towards living consciously: in addition to the highs you will experience, there will also be challenging times. It's difficult enough to put your beliefs into practice when your life is running smoothly. Not so easy when you are hating your job, contemplating divorce, or facing illness. So what do you do during those times when it sucks being YOU?
Remember that you WILL get through this. There is a Jewish folk saying that reminds us that we are stronger than we believe: "Pray that you will never have to suffer all that you are able to endure."
I recently had a scary dentist experience. As I sat in the dentist's office waiting to hear what they were going to do about my chipped front tooth, I started to feel tremendous fear building up in my body and mind. I got more and more upset and felt ill. I was catastrophizing the pain, the money, the wait, on and on. Then, I started consciously breathing and visualizing the best possible outcome. I connected with the assistant and stretched in the chair. A miracle occurred. They could fix my tooth right away with little pain or money. YEAH!
Here are some tips to help you through these darned-if-you-do and darned-if-you-don’t kind of days that accompany change:
- Admit it sucks! Don’t make nice. When you feel overwhelmed, it's good to stop and realize that life is overwhelming. It's a relief to know that we are reacting "normally" to a crazy situation.
- Ask, "What is really happening here?" What is my part? What, if applicable, is "their" part? What is just from a learning place?
- Don’t take yourself too seriously. "Act always as if the future of the universe depended on what you did, while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference." --Anonymous
- SCREAM (in a safe place).
- Manage your time wisely, focusing on one task at a time and leaving enough time for you to just BE.
- Surround yourself with friends. They don’t need to understand everything, they just need to be there to support and encourage you. Friends make you laugh, let you cry, and allow you to be yourself.
A sucks-to-be-you moment or day that isn’t a lot of fun can help you to get real and restructure your life to align with what is really important to you.
Take this time to reflect, regroup, and reset. Then take the steps that will get you to the life you want.
Ready to take the steps to make your organization win? Schedule a Culture Call with one of our team members to learn what more you can do to achieve even more impact in the world.